MAGI is always on the lookout for projects that will make the Mahtomedi area more sustainable. Current projects are listed below – click here for a list of past accomplishments. Have an idea for a new project to boost sustainability in the Mahtomedi Area? Contact us.
Partners in Energy
MAGI is partnering with the City of Mahtomedi on an Xcel Energy grant to plan and carry out initiatives to improve our community’s energy future.
Lake Links Coalition
The Lake Links Coalition is a citizen-led effort to complete a safe walking and biking path around White Bear Lake. Learn more >
Safe Routes to School
In 2014, with the encouragement of MAGI members and Davis Grilley, recipient of the 2014 MAGI Environmental Leadership Award, Mahtomedi Schools applied for and received a Safe Routes to School grant from the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The grant provided the school district with the use of nationally recognized Safe Routes to School consultants hired by MnDOT.
Wildwood School Outdoor Spaces
When construction of the new Wildwood Elementary School began, MAGI began encouraging the school district to make the most of the tremendous educational opportunities offered by the abundant greenspace surrounding the site. With MAGI’s encouragement and assistance, the school district is including native trees and prairie in the site landscaping plans, and is incorporating a natural play space into the outdoor recreation components of the site plan. MAGI is continuing with an initiative to raise funds to purchase and plant trees in the natural playground area.
TEDx Mahtomedi Chautauqua
MAGI contributed time and ideas to TEDxMahtomedi in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. MAGI members presented at several of the events:
2016 – Mike Brooks on “Build for Cars, You Get Cars. Build for People, You Get People”
2013 – Paul Hoff on “What If We Engaged in Joyful Conservation?”
2014 – Paul Steinhauser on “Race to Reduce Water Use”
R.I.T.E. of Spring
MAGI partners in the R.I.T.E. (Really Into the Earth) of Spring, the Mahtomedi Area’s annual Earth Day event. Like to help with the 2017 event? Contact email@example.com.
Zephyr Wind Project
MAGI’s founding inspiration was the dream of installing a wind turbine to capture the wind for clean energy and education. Today the Zephyr Wind turbine, funded by private donations and grants, is owned by Mahtomedi Public Schools and sited adjacent to the high school football field. Our community raised the funds for the project cost, which includes the turbine plus educational links and curriculum development. The turbine is equipped with technology that measures potential for further wind development. It is expected to produce between 12,000 and 15,000 kWh of electricity per year, which will be fed into the Xcel Energy grid and credited to the school district. A real-time data logger is linked to the internet for use by Mahtomedi Schools. The Zephyr Wind Project was made possible in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy and the Minnesota Department of Commerce through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). More info.
Environmental Leadership Award
The Environmental Leadership Award provides a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating senior who shows exceptional leadership on environmental issues. More info.
MAGI members are active in many area projects. Opportunities where YOU can participate as a MAGI volunteer include: Mahtomedi Area Farmer’s Market, Mahtomedi Area Community Garden, Alliance for Sustainability East Metro Roundtable, website maintenance, and much more.
Help write our future! Have a green project you’re eager to start or help with? Bring your own ideas! Get involved today. Contact: marymahtomedigreen.org
- Worked with Mahtomedi Schools to find new uses for desks, tables, chairs, and other items being surplused as part of the high school remodel and move to the new elementary school
- Helped raise more than $50,000 toward installation of a natural playground at Wildwood Elementary School (2013)
- Partnered to produce TEDxMahtomedi, a community visioning event (2013)
- Presented at Clean Energy Resource Teams (CERTs) statewide conference (2009 & 2013)
- Encouraged and provided resources & committee participation for Mahtomedi Public Schools to explore the value of a natural playground for the new Wildwood Elementary School
- Hosted a community chimney swift educational and observation session attended by 100 community members (2012)
- Partnered with White Earth and Fond du Lac tribes in a cooperative renewable energy teacher workshop
- Partnered with the University of Minnesota to place Mahtomedi teachers with university researchers in a summer program to study renewable energy
- Hosted a community celebration for the Zephyr Wind Project attended by 150 (2011)
- Participated in the O.H. Anderson Elementary Nature Committee, including prairie restoration and annual Nature Day that provides 650 students multiple outdoor and environmental lessons
- Hosted a community wind energy gathering and fundraiser attended by 150 (2010)
- Catalyzed establishment of the MAGI Environmental Leadership Award, which provides a $1,000 merit-based scholarship to a local graduating senior who exemplifies commitment, innovation, and leadership in addressing environmental issues
- Raised funds for and installed a 10kW educational wind turbine and data logging equipment at Mahtomedi High School (2006–2011)
- Helped the City of Mahtomedi successfully apply for a GreenCorps member to help implement sustainability initiatives
- Partnered on RITE of Spring annual community Earth Day event (2007–2011)
- Supported Mahtomedi Public Schools efforts to increase recycling and composting
- Supported institution of the City of Mahtomedi Environmental Commission, including recruitment of members and regular communication with MAGI steering committee
- Helped establish and continue to advise Mahtomedi High School Eco Club
- Provided connections, guidance and on-going support for Century College’s establishment of sustainability and renewable energy training programs
- Provided background research and facilitation for Century College and Xcel Energy partnership to implement Xcel’s first solar green pricing community project
- Set up a website and monthly newsletter that serve as community clearinghouses for information on environmental events, activities, and opportunities
- Presented at Alliance for Sustainability conference (2009)
- Partnered with the Mahtomedi Area Educational Foundation to establish Green Initiative Fund (2009)
- Sponsored a climate change talk by Will Steger (2008)
- Wrote a successful grant proposal to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency that provided funds and staff for City of Mahtomedi carbon footprint analysis
- Mentored Century College and Mahtomedi High School student clubs and individual students on research and presentation projects
- Held a Town Hall Forum with breakout sessions on green gardening, transportation, and renewable energy (2007)
- Presented on sustainability and MAGI at Century College and Minnesota Counties “Metropolitan Energy Policy Coalition” conference
- Helped the Mahtomedi area gain a regional reputation as a leader in community sustainability through coverage in local and metrowide media
- Provided input to City of Mahtomedi and City of Grant regarding wind turbine ordinances
- Collaborated on “Mt. Everest to Mahtomedi” climate change talk at Century College
- Helped Mahtomedi Community Education write a successful grant proposal to bring a GreenCorps volunteer to our community for 11 months
- Helped connect Mahtomedi Middle School faculty with Century College engineering faculty and engineering club members to work on renewable energy projects
- Helped Mahtomedi Area Educational Foundation connect with Andersen Corp. Foundation for engineering program funding
- Helped sustainability students from the University of Minnesota connect with City of Mahtomedi, resulting in a draft sustainability plan for the city
- Partnered in the development of the Mahtomedi Area Farmers’ Market
- Brought together residents and school district administrators to discuss environmental considerations related to Mahtomedi Schools’ 2010 bond referendum
- Helped connect Century College solar programs director with Mahtomedi High School for career opportunities presentation.